Gymnázium, Český Krumlov
The grammar school (gymnázium) in Český Krumlov is established as a benefit organisation with legal subjectivity. Since July 1st, 2001 it has fallen under the administration of the South-Bohemian Region Council.
The type of education is 79-02-5/00 of general grammar schools (KKOV 79-41-K/001) in daily study according to the following curricula:
a) 20 060/94-23, as regulated by 25 048/95-21-23 with six-year cycle,
b) 20 594/99-22 generalized grammar school curriculum with eight-year cycle
c) 20 595/99-22 grammar school with four-year cycle
The main aim of this type of education is to prepare students for further education (universities, polytechnics or higher specialist schools). Compulsory and optional subjects are general educational subjects laid down by the curriculum for grammar schools. Besides compulsory and optional subjects students can attend non-compulsory subjects such as: Roman-Catholic religion, driving lessons, volleyball, karate.
There is also a school canteen and a dormitory. Lunch at the canteen is supplied by SŠ Velešín. The dormitory was built in 1996, residents are acommodated in bedrooms for three.
|Address:||Gymnázium, Český Krumlov, |
Chvalšinská 112, 381 01 Český Krumlov
|Telephone:||420-380-711 171, 711 349|
History of the School
Visitors to Český Krumlov who look at the modern grammar school building (1978), one of very few post-war modern constructions built with a purpose other than living, might get the impression that the history of secondary school in town has only been a few decades old.
Much to the contrary, its history can be traced back for more than 600 years. The origin of a Latin Town School reaches to the times of Charles IV. The beautiful Renaissance style building which now houses the Rose Hotel (Růže) was put up for the purpose of the famous Jesuit school in 1586. Its graduates excelled in their wide knowledge and polite behaviour. Bohuslav Balbín, a significant member of the order, worked at the school for a short time.
After the abolishment of the Jesuit Order the school also disappeared and almost a century passed before the town had a secondary school of a similar type. It was a German type grammar school (Realgymnasium) where teaching was in German. Its first class was opened in 1871. Gradually it gained considerable renown and it occupied the present-day museum building for nearly all its existence.
A similar kind of grammar school with Czech as the language of teaching was opened in 1935 in rooms provided by the National Masaryk School at Špičák. At the end of the school year 1937/1938 there were 135 pupils. In September 1938 students and teachers were forced to leave and after the liberation teaching was taken up again in September 1945 in the school building in Linecka Street, where the grammar school stayed until 1978. The first eleven seniors graduated in 1947.
The grammar school's contemporary edifice was built in 1978. Between 1994 and 1996 it was reconstructed into its present form. Among others a dormitory and lecture room were added.
Since 1948 education has undergone many changes. Today grammar schools are organised along three types of study - with an eight-year, six-year and four-year cycle. We can mention the composer P. Eben, the academic painter J. Cihla, the literary specialist and translator J. Pelan and the eloquent lawyer JUDr. Teryngl as renowned graduates.